Saturday, December 13, 2008

Mr. Jonas

Let’s just imagine that I’m some famous Hollywood actor that has pulled in a record 80 million dollars in the last 12 months, because my two movies I made this year have done so well. Then I travel back to my home town of Choudrant , Louisiana and I drive up to a random family and I give them a Play Station 3, 52” LCD Flat Screen TV, and a Minivan. Now I’m on the TV and Radio for giving back to my roots, and saving Christmas for a family. I’m a hero and people are told they should be like me and give to others the same as I have. Holy Smokes! I’m better than Santa.

Now imagine that someone has written a letter to a local radio station on behalf of my family, because my family has had a hard year and I’m not going to be able to buy the movies, bikes, clothes, video games, and the MP3 players my kiddos need in order to have a good Christmas. So the radio people put me on the air, give me all the stuff, tell how much it’s worth, where my friends can buy if they want it, and assure me my troubles are over. The letter makes people cry on their way to work. It’s replayed on the radio a couple of times in the morning just to make sure everybody gets a chance to listen and feel all nice inside. Not everybody’s happy though. Some people in Radio Land thought my family didn’t sound thankful enough on the phone at 5:00AM in the morning, and call the station and say they know a family a little more deserving of such a gift and the stuff should be taken from me. How rude of my family.

Now a man gives you a dollar bill with a challenge attached to it. You clip it to the front of your wallet and look at it for weeks. You want to do something really outstanding with it. Something that will change the world, but you have not a clue what to do with it. So every time you pull out of the wallet it’s looking at you. Asking you “What are you going to do with me?” It’s frustrating you begin to think you have failed in some small way. Look at Mr. Movie Star and the Radio people. They changed those people’s lives. It’s just a stinking dollar!

Now you are standing in line at the fancy nice gas station that has great coffee waiting eagerly to pay for your own brew, so you can get back to work and accomplish all the things set before you. When the older gentleman in front of you realizes he left his wallet in the car. You sigh wondering now how long this matter is going to take when the other register opens “Next in line please”. Yeah! You pull out wallet and you see the dollar. “Excuse me sir, I’ll get your coffee.” “I appreciate your help son.” The older gentleman rushes out to his car to get a dollar to repay you. You politely say “No” and he replies “Why want you take this dollar from me?” and you say “Because it’s not mine……” and “Merry Christmas and God Loves You Very Much” and you leave with a new friend, and 3 cents left from that stinking dollar to use to change the world.